Saturday, August 11, 2007

If you think people are surprised that I have a pit bull...


you should see the looks I get when the subject of tattoos comes up. Is it because I'm an accountant? It's not like I have a full sleeve or or my husband's name on my neck...it's ONE, SMALL, SIMPLE tattoo. On my foot, of all places. But if people are surprised that I have a tattoo, they're certainly not surprised that it's dog related ;-)

In animal rescue, you have to constantly remind yourself of the animals that you ARE able to help - if you dwell on the ones that are lost, you'll never get out of bed in the morning. The teardrop is my way to remember the ones I couldn't save. They at least deserve that.

We also lost one of our own dogs earlier this year - January 6th to be exact. Pepper was our 14 year old Lhasa Apso and he'd battled congestive heart failure for the last few years. His health declined fast and we were forced to make the awful decision to put him down. We know, without a doubt, that we did the right thing...that didn't make it any easier. We've shed a LOT of tears over Pepper since then...but we'll NEVER forget. Godspeed sweet Pepper - we'll meet you at the Bridge.

No comments: